Friday, November 28, 2008

Thanksgiving.. Alot to be thankful for...


Well folks.. Its that time of year again! Thanksgiving.

Thanksgiving usually goes down as the 'holiday season kick off' in my mind. I always know that as soon as I hit my turkey coma I am listening to holiday tunes the very next weekend. And as some of you know, if you have read my 'lets start off' blog posting.. I was just diagnosed during the holidays last year. I found out I was sick just a few short days before Thanksgiving last year. I will never forget that thanksgiving in 2007.
Last year was 'Thanksgiving on Cancer'. It was absolutely horrible. I had just found out about my diagnosis about 4 or 5 days before- and I had plans to go to my moms house with my two uncles for turkey dinner- but when my mom found out- she went into mommy mode and only wanted to grab the holiday OT and help me with my bills and whatever I was going to need. I was feeling too crazy to cook a turkey dinner for just myself and my uncles- and the rest of my family (6 uncles, 5 aunts and a million or so 1st and 2nd cousins)they were all doing different things. We used to all get together when my grams was alive- she was the superwoman superglue. But now that she's gone & I never see anyone anymore. So it was me and my Uncle Pat- and my boyfriend joined us after visiting his mothers house. We ended up at some diner for turkey. BLEH. I don't remember what diner- bc it was that horrible. It was the absolute worst thanksgiving I will ever have. And I will make it a point to have a huge family and be that superwoman superglue my grams was- Just because of that diner turkey! Never again.
This year.. Turkey day 2008. No cancer.. and still BLEH. But for a different reason.
I've been told that Thanksgiving eve is the 'biggest party night of the year'. Hmm. Well I didn't go out and celebrate last year, which was the first year I could have, turning 21 and all. So this year... I am making it a point that n o t h i n g will be the same from last year- So whoo hoo!
Party Time.
I've been a little broke these days- remission in a recession stinks. It has been a little hectic- So I was actually debating whether to stay in and cook apple pies- or to go out and have a drink. My friends convinced me (thank god!) to go out. I got all dressed up or 'hussified' as I'd like to call it and had a little budget in my pocket of what I could spend. Asta La Vista Budget money... 20$ cover fee just at the door.. uugggh. I didn't even want to go out- intially. So my friend Jackie- decided to be my boyfriend and cover -the cover. Then when I got in- my other friends had shots and drinks already ready and waiting. (I have the best friends, don't i?) Well.. needless to say- I got completely wacked out of my mind. I do not advise getting hammered pre, post, or during cancer treatments- bc the alcohol actually screws up your body's ph and makes your whole body very acidic which is the perfect enviroment for cancer cell production. Google it. =)
But Fuck it. I need a fucking drink. I do not remember parts of the night, thanks to my new friends Malibu, Lemon drops, Patron and Vodka. And thanks to those 'new friends' it took me the whole morning and most of the afternoon to be able to stomach even making the horderves. I did not eat a single thing on Thanksgiving day. Not a s i n g l e thing. =)
But it was completely worth it.
So 2 years down, 1 diner, 1 turkey I didn't eat- A cancer my body fought, and 2 holiday seasons that will inevitably always be remembered- I am chuckling to myself at these things that happen to us. Like my grams always used to say "It is easier to make mistakes than to fix them.. So have fun, wear a smile, and try not to get into too much trouble tonight hun."
=) Megan



No comments: